B.S. Nutrition and Foods, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2014
2018 - 2019: President, Association of Multicultural Scientists
2018 - 2019: MnDrive-UMII Graduate Fellowship
2017 - 2018: Normal Wells Fellowship, Masonic Cancer Center
2016 - 2017: Graduate and Professional Student Research Grant, Healthy Foods Healthy Lives Institute
I'm a 5th year Ph.D. student in the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BICB) program. I graduated from Drexel University in 2014 with a degree in Nutrition and Foods and minors in finance and international economics. I'm interested in studying the role of the microbiome and its metabolites in colorectal cancer (CRC). My current research is to investigate how metabolites mediate the crosstalk between CRC and the microbiome.
Besides research, I have very diverse personal interests and enjoy every aspect of life. I love kayaking and playing golf in the summer, and when the winter comes, I love cooking and collecting recipes from all over the world. I also have a deep interest in finance and the financial side of biological research.
17. Bosnakovski D, Shams AS, Yuan C, Silva MT, Ener ET, Baumann CW, Lindsay AJ, Verma M, Asakura A, Lowe DA, Kyba M. Chronic rare DUX4 expression in mouse drives transcriptional similarities to human FSHD in whole muscle and fibroadiopgenic progenitors. JCI 2020 13(5).
16. Bosnakovski D, Silva MT, Sunny ST, Ener ET, Toso EA, Yuan C, Cui Z, Walters MA, Jadhav A, Kyba M. A novel P300 inhibitor reverses DUX4-mediated global histone hyperacetylation, target gene expression and cell death. Sci Adv 2019 5(9):eaaw7781
15. Zhao X, Yuan C, Rieth J, Wangmo D, Subramanian S. Chapter 10: Novel Methods to Overcome Acquired Resistance to Immunotherapy. Current applications for overcoming resistance to targeted therapies. Springer Nature publications 2019 Book Chapter
14. Yuan C#, Freeman BT#, McArdle T, Jung JP, Ogle BM. Conserved Pathway Activation Following Xenogenic, Heterotypic Fusion. FASEB J 2019 33(6):6767-6777.
13. Xiao F#, Yuan C#, Crane AT, Voth JP, Juliano M, Stone LL, Nan Z, Zhang Y, Kuzman-Nichols N, Sanberg PR, Grande A, Low WC. Immunomodulation with Human Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cells Ameliorates Ischemic Brain Injury - A Brain Transcriptome Profiling Analysis. Cell Transplant 2019 28(7):864-873.
12. Yuan C, Subramanian S. microRNA-Mediated Tumor-Microbiota Metabolic Interactions in Colorectal Cancer. DNA Cell Biol 2019 38(4):281-285. Cover Page
11. Yuan C, Steer CJ, Subramanian S. Host-microRNA-microbiome interactions in colorectal cancer. Genes 2019 10(4):270.
10. Incitti T, Magli A, Darabi D, Yuan C, Lin K, Arpke RW, Stewart R, Thompson JA, Kyba M, Perlingeiro RCR. Pluripotent stem cell-derived myogenic progenitors remodel their molecular signature upon in vivo engraftment. PNAS 2019 116(10):4346-4351.
9. Sarver AS, Sarver AL, Yuan C, Subramanian S. OMCD: OncoMir Cancer Database. BMC Cancer 2018 18:1223.
8. Ruiz-Estevez M, Staats J, Paatela E, Munson D, Katoku-Kikyo N, Hostager R, Yuan C, Asakura Y, Mu L, Asakura A, Kikyo N. Promotion of myoblast differentiation by Fkbp5 via isomerization of Cdk4. Cell Rep 2018 25(9):2537-2551.
7. Yuan C, Burns MB, Subramanian S & Blekhman R (2018) Interaction between Host MicroRNAs and the Gut Microbiota in Colorectal Cancer. mSystems 3.
6. Lowe M, Lage J, Paatela E, Munson D, Hostager R, Yuan C, Katoku-Kikyo N, Ruiz-Estevez M, Asakura Y, Staats J, Qahar M, Lohman M, Asakura A & Kikyo N (2018) Cry2 Is Critical for Circadian Regulation of Myogenic Differentiation by Bclaf1-Mediated mRNA Stabilization of Cyclin D1 and Tmem176b. Cell Rep. 22, 2118–2132.
5. Magli A, Incitti T, Kiley J, Swanson SA, Darabi R, Rinaldi F, Selvaraj S, Yamamoto A, Tolar J, Yuan C, Stewart R, Thomson JA & Perlingeiro RCR (2017) PAX7 Targets, CD54, Integrin α9β1, and SDC2, Allow Isolation of Human ESC/iPSC-Derived Myogenic Progenitors. Cell Rep. 19, 2867–2877.
4. Hill CM, Banga A, Abrahante JE, Yuan C, Mutch LA, Janecek J, O’Brien T, Graham ML & Dutton JR (2017) Establishing a Large-Animal Model for In Vivo Reprogramming of Bile Duct Cells into Insulin-Secreting Cells to Treat Diabetes. Hum Gene Ther Clin Dev. 28, 87–95.
3. Duffy CM, Ahmed S, Yuan C, Mavanji V, Nixon JP & Butterick T (2016) Microglia as a surrogate biosensor to determine nanoparticle neurotoxicity. J Vis Exp.
2. Duffy CM, Yuan C, Wisdorf LE, Billington CJ, Kotz CM, Nixon JP & Butterick TA (2015) Role of orexin A signaling in dietary palmitic acid-activated microglial cells. Neurosci Lett. 606, 140–144.
1. Giarelli E, Nocera R, Turchi R, Hardie TL, Pagano R & Yuan C (2014) Sensory stimuli as obstacles to emergency care for children with autism spectrum disorder. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 36, 145–163.